30 September 2011



LOVE
It is extremely important to teach your children how to love.  This is one lesson that literally starts within the confines of your home.  I used “teach” and not “show” because if taught effectively, your children will be at an advantage that may include true bliss, as it has done for me.
In preparation for my wedding (years ago), I wrote a special, heartfelt note to my mother.  It read:
Mom, if you hadn’t provided for me and taught me
The beauty, warmth, security and the honor that love brings…
I would not be the bride that I am today.

When I wrote that note to my mother, my heart was filled with all the memorable events that were all based on love. I thought about how she was my personal teleprompter as I gave my graduation speech. I thought about how she laid on my pillow with me and prayed at night.  I thought about how she encouraged me, even when I did not have the courage, to sail and chart my own course in life. 

My immediate family consisted of my mother, father, and grandmother; through all came lessons on the true meaning of love.  I felt it every morning when my mother greeted me with a hug and kiss. I felt it every night when my dad walked through the house to make sure that it was secure before he retreated to bed and closed his eyes. I felt it every day when my grandmother had lunch waiting for me at the table when I arrived from a long day at school.
The lesson of love comes with an understanding that will not fall prey to limitations.  Love will comfort you in your darkest hour or your lowest place. It will give you a radiant glow of confidence as you stand proud in your achievements. 
It is the accumulation of love and honor that will direct you on your path to greatness.  Love has only four letters but what makes it profound are these six letters, family.  It is the love that was bestowed upon you that will lead you to make wise decisions in life.   I can honestly say that I am in a place, a space in my life’s journey that is filled with love.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. -Corinthians

No comments:

Post a Comment